Friday, January 19, 2007

Last chance

Dear Lecturers,

It is with much regret that I write this email, seeing as predictably, I have failed in squeezing into any of the photography modules till now.

However, what is even sadder and more disheartening is that among the clutch of lucky students in your classes, some are taking the subject simply because there is no exam for it. I do know of a couple of them at least. Such criminal attitudes are robbing students like me and a great many others who are genuinely interested in photography of a chance to learn. We can but curse and swear and write emails in vain.

What else can I do?
Nothing I'm afraid. I'm eating sour grapes.
What else can you do, you ask.
I'm not sure either.
Yet it would be wrong if I just complain and not offer solutions.

1. Interview them. It may sound impractical or impossible, but the thought of an interview will scare away at least half of the imposters.
2. Request for portfolio. Same reason as above.
3. Make them take an entrance exam. Students who are interested will know at least a bit of the basics.
4. Request for a nominal studio or equipment fee. You can always waive it for poor students like me.
5. State that there's an exam in the timetable. Then on Week 12, announce that it is cancelled.
6. Kick out those who don't pay attention in class.

I check the class indexes for vacancies 50 times a day. The result is as constant and dampening as the rain.
Can you kick out someone and put me in your class, please?

Yours sincerely,
-name-
9001xxxx

ps: This email was written under a mix of frustration and despair. Should I sound rude in any manners, I sincerely apologise. In any case, this should be the last of my incessant emails as it is also my final semester here. Thank you for your kind attention.

No comments: