Sunday, December 01, 2013

Run Report: Singapore Marathon 2013

It's been a good long while since I last wrote about running, or about anything for that matter, and here's one.

I was supposed to write about the Army Half Marathon which I did in September, not because I achieved some remarkable timing but rather due to how well I felt at the end of the run; strong, relaxed finished with capacity for a much better time than the 2hr 15min, but laziness got the better of me.

Anyway, Stanchart Singapore Marathon 2013.

I achieved a surprising personal best of 5hr 17min at my 8th full marathon. Not a mind blowing timing but it's surprisingly good considering the non-existent training over the last few months. I've only ran twice in November and once in October plus a few more short runs in September after the army half. Also achieved were firsts of some sorts: I ran 31km without stopping, except to drink and to take a photo at the 30km mark because i found it quite remarkable. Also it's my first marathon without muscle cramps, though it nearly did.

Prior to the start, my goal was to try to finish the run in around 6 hours, and even that wasn't a confident estimation.

First 10km: Didn't started well as I felt the muscles tightening up shortly after the start. Was pretty tight by 8km and I thought I would have to stop soon.

Second 10km: the dreaded east coast park. Decided to push through and run as much as I could. Thought I will stop after the 21.5km turning point.

Third 10km: was crucial. probably the hardest I've ever pushed myself. Time and again I thought I would have to stop because the thigh, groin and calf muscles were absolutely stiff and I was pretty certain that the inevitable stop would occur at 23, 26, 28 and 30km but each time, through sheer will power, I forced myself to keep running,  telling myself that I'll run till the cramp kicks in.... but it strangely never did...

Even though I dragged myself through the last 10 km, I remarkably finished the first 30km in 3hr 30min! A consistent average of 1hr 10min per 10 KM.

The 31km mark was when I finally succumbed and stopped running.. From there till the end it was a long series of walks and short runs. Even so, the cramp didn't come. Each time i felt it coming i would stop and start walking it off, stopping twice to do a short stretch on my calves. Took another 1hr 47 min to complete the remaining 11.195 km.

Consumed 5 gels - one 15min before the start and another four along the way, around the 8km, 17km, 26km and 32/33km mark. also grabbed a banana. This time round I conscientiously drank more water and more water than 100plus at that, after learning that each power gel needs about 400ml of water
in order for it to be properly absorbed.
Gel flavours: Gu Chocolate Outrage (ok, thick and sweet), Shotz Lemon Lime (not bad), Shotz Cola Vanilla (found it rather strange tasting), Gu Strawberry Banana (not bad), Gu Espresso Lover (good).
Much better to squeeze it into a cup of water and downing it. Used my finger to stir it.

Something else worth mentioning is the McDonalds salt packets the ZJ handed out. It will supposedly trick the mind when the tongue tastes the salt, that the body has enough electrolytes, hence avoiding the murderous cramps. I tried two sachets, salty as hell, but they seemed to work. No ill effects at least.

Ok, time to sleep. been up since 3am.
5 hr 17min. I still rocksss.


No comments: