Tuesday, August 14, 2012

reminiscing about army days

there's something called the Standard Obstacle Course in army which is dreaded by all SAF soldiers, or at least those who experienced the old version where you have to run your lungs out after the final jump from the ramp; many seasoned infantry soldiers from my camp failed to meet the 10 minutes passing mark.

my point is, I once cleared mine in 8 min 49 sec - still proud of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xC-JiiudM
looks fun and easy in the video till you try it
800m run up, 10 obstacles, 700m run down while carrying the phased-out SBO, SAR 21 rifle and a brick of a helmet which totals to about 11kg.

i also consistently ran sub 9min 40sec for my 2.4km with a PB of around 9min 20sec(??) - nothing ground-breaking but it possibly meant that i was one of the fastest non-smoking runner in my company.

army was painful back then.

edited:
ha! i found this from my old blog
ATEC Combat Load (1st LAW Gunner):
LAW tube - 7kg
SAR 21 Rifle - 4kg
SBO webbing - 7kg
Helmet - 2kg
Total : 20kg



No comments: