Sunday, May 13, 2007

To wrap things up

It's been barely 10 days since I last mugged with the muggers at the SAC, but it seems like distant memories now. the preceeding days were kinda rushed, scrambling to get my FYP program together, the insignificant presentation that came after that, then a mad hurry to siphon off the ntu irc network as many movies as I could, before I bid farewell to my home of the last 3 years.

My life in NTU went past fast and furious. Cliche as it may sound, it seems just like yesterday when I was still a blur freshie, terrified of the man-eating Electronics and Maths I in Year 1 Sem 1.

Exams went okie. Not ok as in I'll beat the shit out of the other students, but okie as in I won't get shit beaten out of me by the papers, my final final exams. So compared to how amazingly lost i was just weeks before 18th April, I have done relatively okie.

My last paper in NTU went down without a whimper. It was Distributed Computing, of which I'll prolly get a B if I didn't screw up too badly. The venue was at Hall A, Nanyang Auditorium, next door to my virgin paper in NTU, School of Biological Science. In that inaugural paper, I scored an F for Electronics. Of course, I then cleverly changed my course to Computer Science and managed to erase that mark of failure.

In these 3 years, all in, I have taken 33 exams and 1 major Final Year Project. In retrospect, my bunch of Shitter Friends and I realised that, if like us, you just wanna get your degree with an average grade, then hey, university is actually not very difficult. You can't afford to be lazier than us though. I don't do tutorials, have never approached a lecturer to ask any questions, skipped some lectures, skipped alot of lectures for some subjects sometimes, normally don't know what's going on throughout the whole semester, but I mug real hard in the couple weeks just before exams. So basically it is possible to cover 85% of what was taught in an entire semester in 3 days.

And I am living proof that one need not be good in maths to get by in Computer Science. All I know is my elementary maths from secondary school education. At the end of the 3 years, I proudly declare that I can't perform the simplest of integration or differentiation. I hate maths related subjects. That explains for the few Ds that I got.

ah well, these are stuff that just came to my mind at this point of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYP, the 1 year old demon, is over as well. My presentation was alrite, it being more of a formality. Neither supervisor nor examiner seemed too interested. And I doubt they even read my report. I suspect all the efforts put into my report and presentation went in vain. To them it is probably just another project, just a routine whereby if the student didn't screw up, he'll be awarded a B and get done with it. So at the end of the day, my supervisor, Tweety Bird, told me that it boils down to the effort that I put in through the year, and not the final product. Which means that I've wasted a few good days trying to make my program look good. damn it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My last few days in hall was spent in front of the computer screen. I've only recently discovered the magic of irc and the riches that it holds. so before I move out, I thought I would like to make full use of my internet fees for once and grab whatever that catches my eye. It was pleasantly surprising to find some gems among the many films that people were sharing there. In that few days, I turned from film enthusiast to film collector.. Plus the hoard of dvds that I bought over the last few months.. Seriously, I dunno when I'll ever finish watching all the films.

No comments: